Tuesday, June 19, 2012

2012 Colorado River SUP Recap



It's been an epic month of fun and paddling all over Colorado, my favorite trip of the year, attending several events that feature river SUP; including CKS Paddlefest, Teva Mountain Games, Rocky Mountain Surf Festival and Fibark.  Despite the low water flows and the cancelation of the SUP events at Teva there was still PLENTY of great paddling, surfing and fun with friends. 

CKS Paddlefest:  
Lots of river running and surf action.  I'll be doing some SUP clinics next year and CKS now carries the full range of Starboard Inflatables.
Fraction's section of the Arkansas River



TEVA Mountain Games:
TEVA Mountain Game’s SUP events were canceled, but that DID NOT stop Morgan Hoesterey, Gillian Gibree, Terri Plunkett and I from finding some fun.  We entered the 5k Mud run and took it to the next level, basically turning the mud run into a mud wresting match.  We came away bloody, muddy and laughing.  Pau Hana and Season Five also put on an unofficial SUP Cross at the end of the weekend and there was a little SUP surfing demo in the main hole.
Mud Run at Teva Mtn Games


Surfing the hole at Teva Mtn Games

Rocky Mountain Surf Festival/Whitewater SUP Championships, Glenwood Springs, CO


In my third year attending the Rocky Mountain Surf Festival in Glenwood Springs I finally walked away as the women’s overall whitewater SUP Champion.  First, I won the downriver race on a Starboard Race 12’6 x 31.5.  The design is perfect for downriver racing and it’s completely stable and really fast.   I paddled so hard I got a bloody nose!  Later that day I blew it on the SUP Cross, but I knew taking a tippy race board as opposed to a more stable inflatable was a huge risk.  I was knocked out in the semi-finals and figured I had no chance to win the overall title at that point.  The following day I managed to pull off the win in the final event, another SUP Cross style race, on a Starboard Whopper Inflatable.  (Usually they have a wave surfing competition, but the water was too low so it was cancelled)  So, in the end the points were in my favor.  A big win for me, so stoked.
2012 Whitewater SUP Champion

Trying out a raceboard in the SUP Cross
Catching the eddy during the SUP cross


FIBARK, Salida, CO


This was my first year competing in the SUP events at FIBARK in Salida, Colorado.  I was impressed by both the quality of paddling and large amount of women who entered the weekend’s events which included a SUP Cross and a downriver race.  The slalom style SUP Cross Course was challenging, but really fun, and a huge crowd gathered to watch.  My first place finishes in the first two heats put me into finals, where I finished in second place behind Haley Mills.  The following day was the downriver race.   Due to low water it was all about picking the right lines, staying off the rocks and in the fast moving water.  The start was just above the main hole and as everyone paddled through at once it was complete chaos and yard sales.  I got way behind in the pack because so many people fell in front of me, so I had to paddle from nearly last into my first place finish.  With a second place finish in the SUP Cross and first place in the Downriver race that made me the overall women’s winner of the weekend.  Haley Mills, Jenny MacArthur and Brittany Parker were also charging hard, so it wasn’t an easy win. 
FIBARK's Overall Women's Winner

Chaos at the downriver race start

Paddling through the main hold during SUP Cross at Fibark
SUP Cross Women's Finals Start

Thanks again to my sponsors who believe in me and keep me in action! 




1 comment:

karyn gray said...

Commercial Fitness equipment including treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and custom strength equipment. You can find our nearest provider for Fitness equipment orlando.